- 3 medium sized (about 8-inches long) zucchini
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pizza sauce (Homemade or purchased)
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper to taste
- sun dried tomatoes (Homemade or purchased)
- thin pepperoni slices
- minced fresh parsley and/or basil
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray ~or~ use an unglazed stoneware rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
Slice the zucchinis in half lengthwise. Remove a little disc from any protruding parts of the zucchini to help it lie flat on the pan without rocking from side to side. Arrange the zucchini halves -skin side down- on the prepared baking sheet.
Spoon 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce on each zucchini half and spread it evenly over the top. If using sun dried tomatoes, arrange them over the pizza sauce, reserving a couple for the top. Scatter the shredded cheeses evenly over all of the zucchinis. If using pepperoni, put no more than three pieces on each zucchini half.
Place the pan in the hot oven and immediately lower the temperature to 375°F. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the zucchinis are tender, but still have enough body to be lifted from the pan without falling apart.